So we bought this for Patricia’s new office this past weekend. Last night, I finally got around to finishing assembling it. I had tested the latching mechanism (I thought) before installing the drawers. I put them in, closed them, locked it, and they locked fine. I unlocked it, and they remain locked. I can’t get in to see what the problem is, because…the drawers are locked. And no, before asking, it’s not a lock combination problem. It’s still set to all zeros per the factory, and the knob turns to lock and unlock. It just doesn’t release the drawers when I turn it to unlock.
Not sure what to do. The least destructive way I can see to get in to it (in terms of how many parts and how expensive) is to cut the front off the top drawer. But maybe I’ll call IKEA and see what they have to say.
OK, I had turned it over and banged on it, in the hope that it would knock the latch loose, and it didn’t seem to work. But when I flipped it back right-side up, with it unlocked, the drawers seemed to be freed. But I’m still nervous about locking it again until I understand what happened.